If you’re a local business trying to get traffic, then ranking on the first page of Google is a must. Sadly, a lot of local business owners don’t spend the necessary time optimizing their Google listing.
Ranking high in the local search results can mean the difference between thriving as a business and merely scraping by. There are a ton of factors that go into this, but we’ve distilled a few of our favorites.
Below we show you a few of the most effective methods for improving your local listings through optimizing your Google My Business Page.
What is Google My Business?
Below the ads in most Google search results you’ll find what looks like a Google Map with a few business listings on it, like the image below.
Companies that rank towards the top of this page are much more likely to receive business than ones who don’t. This search feature also plays a large role in mobile search.
If you’re serious about showing up in the local search results, then you’re going to need to take your Google My Business page seriously.
How to Optimize Your Google My Business Page
Optimizing your page doesn’t take a ton of technical work. It simply means that you must fill out your profile completely, with the most accurate information you have. Google will trust and rank a listing higher if it’s actually complete.
1. Get the Basics Settled
The chances are high you already have a page setup, even if you don’t remember creating it. To check and see if there’s an existing page already set up, check out this link. This will also show you how to add a listing if you don’t have on setup already.
Once you’ve setup your page and have it live, it’s time to optimize it.
2. Optimize Your Page
Having an effective Google My Business page is all about having the right information. And making sure that information looks the same across every online property you have.
Make sure you address the following elements:
- Add your website to the listing
- Make sure your Name, Address, and Phone match your website
- Create a keyword-rich business description
- Add a few images of your local business
- Make sure your category listing actually matches your business
3. Configure Advanced Options
Once you have your basic page completed setup, you can optimize your page further to improve conversions and give visitors a better feel for your business.
- Upload a ton of high-quality images that really give your visitors a feel for your business. Your goal should be to give visitors as good of an idea as possible what your business is like.
- Add a Google Street View Tour of your local business. This will help to build trust in the eyes of Google and give your visitors yet another way to experience your business.
As it currently stands your Google My Business listing is an incredibly important local ranking factor. By implementing the above tips you’ll be on your way towards a better crafted and high ranking page. If you’re interested in taking your local rankings to the next level, then reach out to our team today.